Sunday, June 12, 2011

Busy as a bumblebee

I know I have been MIA lately. There is good reason though.... Really... I have been so incredibly busy! Last week I babysat 6 extra kids... Yes that means there was 9 of us partying it up a week ago. We really had a good time. No pictures though sorry, I dont have permission to pick pictures up of them. Then this week I babysat 4 extra kids all under the age of 5! Yes there was 6 kids all 4 and UNDER! IT WAS NUTSO, CRAZY! CRAZY! But it has been good to be busy. I just have lacked in other areas.

Hinckley started swim lessons this week too. Sometimes I struggle putting him in swim lesson because he is always ahead of everybody else in the class. But he enjoys it I think.
Love this pic!
He started off on the little diving board but graduated to the bigger one next!
No fear!





I have been wanting to post this rant about something for almost a week now. Something happened a week ago close to where Troy is located (he wouldn't tell me how close but he did rub shoulders with some of the guys who were killed)... Something HORRIBLE... Something TRAGIC. 5 count them 5 USA military members were killed in Iraq. I was at karate with Hinckley when my dad called me. My dad RARELY calls me. So I picked it up and the first words out of his mouth were, "Have you heard from Troy today." I had received in an email earlier in the day so I said yes. He then said, "Good because 5 military members were killed today in Baghdad." My heart sank. For a split second I looked in on my sweet and precious little boy doing something he loves and wonder if I would have to tell him his daddy did not make it home. Then I had a reassuring feeling that Troy was alright. But my heart still hurt. Thinking about those 5 families who would be receiving that dreaded, eerie knock on the door and the news that tragedy had happen and that their loved one had died a hero.

I was anxious to get home to see what the news was reporting. To my surprise I saw a 15 second segment on the National nightly news about it. That was it... 15 seconds. How could you only give 15 seconds to these heroes? Are you kidding me? They were too worried about what celebrity got a DUI the day before, what kind of dress Michelle Obama was wearing to some cocktail hour. Don't get me wrong I think Michelle Obama has great fashion but really? 15 seconds?

So I decided to try my luck at google, cnn.com, foxnews.com, yahoo.com, msn.com.... NO LUCK. I could find NOTHING ON IT. I cried. Why on earth is this not BIG NEWS? Why do these families have to suffer the consequences of this war with no spotlight except the fact that their loved ones wouldn't make it home alive? Shouldn't we rally as a country and wrap our arms around these sweet families who are going through hell? The decision of which casket to purchase, what burial plot to pick, a head stone, who would do the service, would they have to worry about protesters? I haven't even discussed the healing emotional, physical, spiritual side of it. Did any of these soldiers have kids? Wives? Husbands? Sisters? Brothers? Best friends? Mothers? Fathers? I want to know about these HEROIC people who died for my freedom. IS THAT too much to ask?!

I have found an amazing website that gives you info on all the soldiers who are killed overseas. I am so glad I found it!
OKAY OKAY RANT OVER FOR NOW.

1 comment:

Pili girl~ said...

I love the way you vent! Yes. I got the news too - pretty much right after it happened. (My job at that time allowed me such privileges, but due to security purposes am not to discuss or disclose information until the families are notified.)

It is sad. Most people don't really feel the effects of the Soldiers who are living over here, until something happens to one of their loved ones, or friends. I personally feel that people spend waaaay too much time focusing on the things that don't matter, like did Brittney Spears really shave her head, or if Lindsay Lohan has to go back to jail or rehab. But I think the same as you - why aren't we embracing those who have lost or are loosing loved ones over here.

For me, it's sometimes hard to see the many men and women over here and know that they are missing out on time with their families. Babies first smile, first steps, first words, first day of school, graduating from high school, first date, loss of first tooth, being a REAL companion/parent to their spouse/children. If I had to work double shifts so more people could spend more time at home with their families, I would. I wish more people recognize the importance of it.

Anyway, that's my rant. Love you heaps. Love to the boys!!!