READ PART I first
I wanted to be with my kids but knew I should stay on doctors orders to rest and a part of me just wanted to fall asleep and wake up when this was all over. My kids stayed with my mom at her house and I went home with Eve.
I was petrified to be left alone. Even though the depression pit had left I still felt anxious. My sweet Kathy got me lunch and helped put a bed on the couch for me. Little Eve slept. Kathy headed back north to the hospital. I laid on the couch in shock. I kept looking at Eve and looking at my swollen body. I kept thinking and praying for Troy. Communication from here on out was a bit limited with Troy being in the ER and doctors coming in and out.
I received a phone call that read, "unknown". I thought it was odd but I better pick it up. It was the police officer who was dispatched to the accident. He asked if I could come pick up Troys things and I told him I didn't have a car and that I was on bed rest but I would try to see if a friend could pick it up. He said no problem and offered to drop the things off at our home when he was done getting the motorcycle towed and his paperwork done.
He explained the accident to me from what he could tell happened. No other cars or people were involved. THANK HEAVENS! He skid on his bike for 90 feet and then laid his bike down and skid on his bike for another 20 or 30 feet. It happened at an intersection right next to an elementary school. All Troy remembers is seeing a red light in front of him and then "coming to" when he was on his arms and legs like in a dog position. (BTW I plan to have Troy write his side of the story soon)
From what we can gather Troy fell asleep or mentally checked out. He was under so much pressure at home, school and work.
I received so many text messages and phone calls that day. Most of them I didn't respond to because I wanted to keep my phone line opened. About an hour or so after Kathy left I heard a knock at the door. I cringed inside thinking it might be the mail lady or something and I almost didn't open the door. I slowly walked to the door and opened it. To my surprise and amazement there stood 3 beautiful young ladies with cookies and milk in hand. These sweet girls came to my rescue that day. They sat with me and talked with me for hours. They kept my mind off my depression pit, they helped me not think about my injured husband who I couldn't be with, they helped me realize what a wonderful life I have. My dear friend Krystal didn't leave my side and made me stay in bed.
The police officer came and dropped off Troys things. Krystal helped bring in everything from his helmet to his backpack and box that sat on back of Troys bike. It was surreal to see these things sitting in my house without Troy here. I can't imagine the horror it would be if he had passed away and all I had left were his "things".
At some point during the day the PA from the doctors office called me and said she had heard what happened to Troy. She asked if there was anything she could do for us including going to the hospital to check on him. She said she wished she had known I was in the office earlier so she could have given me a hug. One thing that will stick with me forever is she said, "Bethany I'm not only your doctor I am your friend." It warmed my heart.
I knew we needed to get Troys motorcycle out of the towing yard immediately because they like to make you pay a ton of money to have it just sit there. My dad and Brother Smith (the one who gave him a blessing) were working the insurance side of things and with the towing company. We worked it out to get it out of the yard but had to jump through a few hoops. Because of insurance reasons and such they wanted Troy to be the one to get it out (well that wasn't going to happen he was in the hospital) and we had to find the registration card and all that jazz. Some of the paperwork had gone missing in the chaos of the crash and towing it. But thankfully we were able to get it out. My sweet Krystal stayed with my 4 day old so I could go with Brother Smith to get the motorcycle out. It cost $200 for them to tow it maybe 70 yards and to have them keep it 6 hours. Plus it was Veterans Day so they charged us an extra $50. I asked for a Veterans discount since it was Veterans Day... They didn't find that very funny. I was so thankful Brother Smith had a vehicle and flat bed that would carry the motorcycle. I didn't even turn around in the car to see it. We dropped it off at my parents house and stored it in their garage until the insurance adjuster came because I couldn't even bare to look at it. I truly hated that thing from day 1. Brother Smith had a million things going on that day and he dropped everything to help us out. He was so kind and considerate to help me in and out of the car because he knew I had just had surgery. He even helped me walk from my house to the car and back into the house.
By the time we got home (we had to pick up some flags for scouts on our way back) Troy was just getting home. I saw him all banged up and started to cry. In a way it was worse than I expected but better at the same time. He had scratches on his face and a big gash from a knot on the inside of his helmet. His helmet saved his life. I will post pictures of the things that got destroyed like his reflective vest, shoes, pants and helmet. He had road rash all over both legs up to his knee. If you are LDS then you know that there is no coincidence of them coming right to that spot. And of course his collarbone was broken.
I was so thankful that Kathy and my dad could be there with him at the hospital. Kathy and Don took such good care of us for 3 weeks. We really would not have survived if it wasn't for them. They took us here, there and everywhere for doctor appointments and such. Kathy cooked all the meals, bathed all the kids, cleaned my house and made freezer meals among everything else! She truly was my angel. I think I healed because of her. She helped me overcome my physical healing and mental. She said something to me that was just what I needed to hear. "Heavenly Father has all the confidence in the world in you." Cara, Krystal and Brother Smith were are other angels that day. There were many after that day too. From meals to gifts to running errands for us.
We saw many miracles some of which I will share and some of them I will not. I had called Troys adviser at school a few hours after the accident to let her know he had been in an accident and Troys boss too. Those are 2 miracles I will post about soon! And I hope to get Troy to write his side of things soon too.
No comments:
Post a Comment