I was a bit worried this year that I would feel empty or alone this Holiday season but to my amazement I have not felt that once (so far!) I've had several opportunities to do service and I think that has made all the difference in the world!
Yesterday I was able to take the kids to a special Christmas party just for families who have a loved one deployed. I can not explain to you HOW ABSOLUTELY LOVELY AND WONDERFUL IT WAS! Please do not take this comment personally its just fact. Unless you have been through a deployment you have no clue what it is like! It would be like me trying to tell a person how hard it is to climb Mount Everest. And even if you have been through something similar it is different for each individual. I have truly been thankful for my friends who have stayed in touch with me and who have been checking on me. TO YOU THANK YOU! YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST!
So think of something hard you have been through.... Then imagine spending 2.5 hours with people who are in the EXACT same boat you have been in or are in! That is what it was like to be at this Christmas party. It was just perfect for me and the boys. We had so much fun talking with other moms about what we were going through and what are kids were going through. We exchanged emails, phone numbers it was just GREAT! Majority of these families were air force because we live near an air force base so their deployments are at the most 6 months! Many of them who I talked to their husbands had been gone the same amount of time as Troy but they are getting home next month or February. CAN YOU IMAGINE?! Oh that would BE AWESOME! Can you guess what branch of military we are going for after he gets home?!
Anywho.... These people who hosted the party were so kind and generous. They wrapped their arms around my kids, around me. They helped me get plates of food for my kids for me, and drinks! They made sure every need I had was catered to. Santa came bearing gifts, yes I said that plural for a reason and stockings and with the patience of Job (like in the Bible). They had a raffle which included gift cards (I got a $25 VISA one), and 2 all paid weekend getaways for 2! They had crafts and face painting and wonderful food. It was magical.
I have experienced this kind of "awesomeness" only one other time in my life. I was working at Disney and had the opportunity to volunteer at a special place just for kids who had life threatening illnesses or cancer. It is this whole mini town and is catered just for these kids. They have an ice cream shop that is open 24/7 and a carousel that runs all day and night. The families come for a week or 2 stay free of charge for them and they get to play at Disney and Universal Studios and other attractions in Orlando. A couple of nights the parents get to go play and have a night to themselves. These kids bonded like brothers and sisters and it was a pleasure to be apart of it.
Here are a few pictures from our awesome Christmas party!
1 comment:
I'm so glad you were able to be a part of this. Military wives are a breed all their own. I saw and rubbed shoulders with some in England and other places we've lived. Proves that "service is a principle of salvation."
Post a Comment