Monday, October 10, 2011

Over a few mountains and through the woods to Great Grandmothers house we go

Before Troy came home from Iraq we began talking about going to see Grandma Puckett and that side of the family and when he got home we decided to put those plans into action. Hinckley had last Friday off from school so we decided to take him out of school for a few days and enjoy a trip to Grand Junction, Colorado. And boy did we ENJOY IT! Every second of every minute of every hour of every day we were there did we ENJOY it!

We drove about half way on Tuesday and stayed the night in Durango, Colorado. It rained our whole drive there and all night long. We got settled in our hotel went to Applebees to eat for dinner and then we went back to the hotel to swim. The boys were up early so we took off for the red mountain pass. I kept checking the road conditions to make sure there wasn't much snow. Red mountain pass is absolutely BREATHTAKING.... For more ways then one.... About half the time there are no guard rails.... And you climb up to just under 13,000 FEET! And of course you have to climb down. We were surprised that Red Mountain pass had little to no snow and Molas Summit was the one we hit snow on. Red Mountain pass is known as the million dollar highway (if you want to know why go google it!) The views of the fall colors were magnificent. I felt nostaglic for America as we drove through the beautiful canyons and mountain tops.... You twist and turn and dip and climb...

I took some of these pictures from my iphone.... I LOVE MY IPHONE!













Just after we came down from Red Mountain pass Chandler puked. Poor little guy. I was feeling car sick too from all the twists and turns and Chandler lost his breakfast. Nothing like driving for another 2 hours with constant wiffs of regurgitated yogurt and juice. YUM! We did try to clean him up the best we could and the car seat... Now we know to give him a little ginger pill for car trips...

3 comments:

Abenteuererin said...

woof! sorry about that puke! those pictures are amazing!! i'm glad you guys had a great time!!

The Lawrences said...

I used to live in Grand Junction with my aunt and 3 cousins. Crazy! They still have lots of friends there and go often to visit my aunt and uncle's graves.

Harding Family said...

I have lots of family from Montrose and Grand Junction! I have driven over Red Mountian pass ao many time I can't even count! (And thrown up from car sickness as well!) I am so glad you guys had such a fun visit! I keep telling Dallen we should move to Grand Junction when he graduates!