Saturday, May 28, 2011

Race Day

Well I have more catching up to do about the last few weeks but I have share about my race today before it is out of my memory!

As you know I have been off the running list for months now. I slowly eased myself back in and had a new running partner, my son! Well, then I got sick. Like super sick. Like the past 2 weeks horrible feel like dying sick. So needless to say I was pretty nervous about my run. But I knew I had to run this race. It was the wounded warrior race, and all the registration money would go to the wounded warrior project. (which by the way they raised over $10,000 today!) So I signed myself up and Hinckley for the kidsK.

I picked up our race bibs right after I went to urgent care on Friday. Yes that is 3 trips to urgent care in about 10 days. I caved in and went to the doctor after 2 weeks of being sick. They had a video playing of why they were doing the race and I was overwhelmed with humility. To watch these young men and women putting on their prosthetic legs, arms and hands, watching them use their seeing eye dogs, talking about "that day" was so emotional for me. So yes I shed a few tears standing there next to the race coordinators but really who can blame me?

Okay so I woke up this morning refreshed but nervous. I put my running clothes on (always empowering) tried to eat a banana that was greener then the boogers I was blowing out of my nose. Okay that was gross sorry, but so was the banana! I downed 10 oz. of water and my zpack pill and headed to the course. I got my chip (nice little timer thing) on my shoe and warmed up a bit. I started noticing people around me... Okay if you dont know me I am like SUPER competitive... Like sometimes its a very BAD THING. I started sizing people up and thinking oh I am so gonna kick your trash in this race, BAD I KNOW! Then it hit me BAM. BAM. BAM. This nice little song was playing in the speakers, "American Soldier" and "Courtesy of the Red, White & Blue"... I stopped... I almost lost composure and realized I was not focusing on what was really important. I was there not for me but hundreds of men and women fighting for their life at Walter Reed and hospitals across the world. So before the race even started I was in tears, thank goodness for SUNGLASSES!


Before the race!Me stretching... LOL I wore my same shirt from last race. A lot of people on the course and after came up to talk to me. One lady said she paced herself by following me. I laughed so hard I asked her if she didn't mind the slow dragging my feet walking and then my sudden bursts of energy. She laughed and said she knew if she just stayed pretty close behind me she would finish the race. I thought that was a nice compliment.




The line of people waiting for the race to startMe taking off before my burst of wowzerness

So we lined up and off went the timer. I took off. Like zoom in the front of the pack. It was like this unbelievable rush of adrenaline. About a half a mile into it I realized I started way to fast (I know Amy you totally warned me for my other race) and with the mix of emotion I spaced it. Just as I was about to walk I looked up and saw 2 of my girls standing on the race sidelines. GO SISTER CARTER GO! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! MY GIRLS CAME FOR ME! Sudden burst of energy and of course I wanted to show off a bit and was like a canon shooting off. Then about a mile into I thought I was going to die. Like seriously I took off way to fast and just as I was going to slow down WHABAM off again. Then this song on my ipod came on and my thoughts turned to my sweet husband. Tears filled my eyes yes again. I slowed down. Like almost to a slow walk and let tears run down my face a bit. About 1.5 miles in I saw my girls again and off I went. It was the crazy battle in my head, heart and legs. I would burst off running then go to this slow walk. I hate walking on a run. Whats the point of a race if you are walking but I had to. My body couldn't run any more. I got to see my girls at about mile 2.5 and of course at the end. The last .5 miles I ran my guts out. Like ran, and prayed, and prayed, and prayed oh and yes you guessed it cried. I finished about 3 minutes after my last race. But thats okay. I finished the race and I wasn't last (okay I had to say that, see my competitive nature).

This was after the race

After I finished I felt sick. Like oh so sick. I didn't know if I could walk. My head was spinning, I wanted to barf and hibernate on this nice looking rock on the side of the road. I drank like 2 bottles of water, ate a piece of cinnamon roll and fruit. I started to feel a bit better. The kids race started about 25 mintues after I finished my race. There was no way I could run with Hinks so Grandpa ran with him. It was so awesome to see him running! He got a medal too.

Waiting for the fire to go off. By the way the timer that says 1:27:38 was from the 10K
He jumped out ahead then slowed down a bit
Off he goes
Almost finished...You can barely spot him
Can you see him ahead of Grandpa in the white hat?
I LOVE THIS PICTURE!
He got a sudden burst of energy at the end
Can you see him getting his medal?
After the race
See his cool medal


After all the races were over there was lots of talk with soldiers and stuff and again the tears came down my face. This race was so emotional for me something I didn't expect. But it was fantastic. Like probably one of the most memorable races I will ever run.

So next time I haven't run in like oh lets see months and I have been sick for 2 weeks I will convince myself to just walk the whole thing. If I go into it knowing that is the goal I will do it.... well maybe if I can get pass MS. COMPETITIVE nature. See my girls came to see me on the right! The kids all lined up.After Hinckleys race and mine
Chandler wanted in on the picture
Chandler LOVES flags
He wanted to play with them

6 comments:

JJ W. said...

Sounds like a great race. Don't worry I cried a lot yesterday at my race too....it happens :)

LaNelle said...

I had to hold back tears just reading this! You are AmAzInG!!!

shashum said...

Way to go Bethany and Hinckley! These pictures are awesome, we are so proud of you both!

Tom and Beth Boswell said...

Bethany! You amaze me and I am so proud of you! Congrats on the run! When Tom won the Biggest Loser at work for the most weight loss in the 5 months they did it, the money he won, he took half of it and donated it to the Wounded Warriors fund here! (the other he had to buy smaller clothes! LOL!)I was so proud of him to do that. Each day I see these men and women in uniform here on the base and I am thankful to them for all they do to protect us here in the good ole USA! And I am so thankful for Troys sacrifice for us too and especially your sacrifice!! Because I know it is a sacrifice for you all. I know there are tough times, but you are an inspiration to me and so many others I am sure. I love ya and am here for you anytime. I am proud to be an AMERICAN and again thanks to Troy and all those others who serve this great nation of ours! Love ya! Beth :)

Kathy and Don Carter said...

Bethany, well done!! This touched my heart. You made a great sacrifice for a great cause. And how wonderful is it to include the children. Hinckley did so great! I would have given just about anything to have been there to cheer you on. I am very proud of you. So great that your girls were there for you!! Your service to them has made a big difference and they love you for it. I have always said it takes special women to be military wives - you fit the bill!! My love and gros bisous!!

Pili girl~ said...

Yeah... you're pretty much my hero! Running while being sick, getting competitive, crying your eyes out, being Patriotic, supporting the Wounded Soldiers and your hubby, being a kick-A mommy, a rocking church leader and a fantabulous friend to so many. God certainly did great with you!

Love your guts!