So I just wanted to share something that has been running through my head lately... I really truly believe technology can be such a blessing in our lives. It has kept us so connected with Troy that without it I do not know how we would be surviving this deployment. Cell phones, texting, getting the internet on my phone, voicemail all these wonderful communication technologies have been such a blessing for me in my life. Gosh how many times do we say, "oh I can google that." Or let me just shoot an email off to my to so and so. Now we have these wonderful blogs and facebook and all these other great technologies that inform us on how our family and friends are doing. And SKYPE, man what a wonderful tool that can be used for GOOD to stay in touch with friends and family. But some of all this good can be for the bad can't it?
I am not talking about pornography, online gambling, prank phone calls, credit card stealing, etc. I am talking about the lost of time being used for these technologies. I mean honestly how often do you check these technologies everyday? I panic if I dont have my cell phone next to me, why? Well, because I never want to miss a phone call from Troy. Sometimes I feel so lost if it has been 3 or 4 days since I have checked facebook or even weeks like when Troy was home. But is that such a bad thing? I enjoy seeing what my friends are up to. About 9 months ago I went through my friends list on facebook and went from over 1,000 friends down to 230. And I try to hold it at about 230. I didn't feel the need to stay in touch with people who I briefly were in touch with or who I went to Elementary School, Middle School, or High School and I didn't even really know. I think it is great to stay in touch with people and have these technologies. WHAT BUGS THE HECK OUT OF ME is when people are using these technologies 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I mean do you really have no life? What about loved ones that live with you like your spouse or kids or even a pet? Do people get so caught up in this cyber world that they forget what is really important in life?
Do you constantly check your phone or text someone or instant message somebody? Don't get me wrong I think it is okay to stay in touch with people but seriously do you constantly need to be in touch with your best friends uncle who you met once four years ago? I mean what do people talk about if they talk 24 hours a day? I mean life has to be going on around you and you are missing it. Maybe we are missing an important point in this life and that is to find a good balance for things we enjoy. Like instead of checking facebook 300 times a day or texting 300 times a day or talking to somebody for hours on end every day that it is okay to just do it in moderation.
Do you know people who are like this? Am I just the crazy one who sees people are ignoring their duties at work, home, or school because they are so wrapped up in cyber space?
1 comment:
I agree. Dont get me wrong, I keep my phone closer now than I probably ever have for the sake that I dont want to miss a phone call from Mark, or an opportunity to skype with him. But I also have a life and dont think its healthy to never be away from technology, you know :-)
p.s:I just paid about $300 to get my computer fixed! I hope it works better after I get it back.
Post a Comment