I have seen these lights in my rear view mirror many times in my 11 years of driving but usually they drive right on by me. I was pulled over when I was 16 or 17 I can't remember the exact age for speeding down a road that was well known for police patrols. I really didn't feel I was speeding that much but when I saw those lights go off I panicked. I had never been pulled over before and so I pulled down a side road so I was completely off the road. My friend Jaime was in the car with me and I was super nervous. The police officer came to my window and began to interrogate me and ask if I was trying to run from the law and if I had been drinking or at a party. I began to laugh (he didn't think it was very funny) because we had just left base after working out and we were in work out clothes. Long story short he gave me a ticket and I was pretty mad that he didn't give me just a warning. I did community service so I didn't have it on my record. I had a ton of fun at a Catholic fair helping kids make necklaces and letting the drunk ladies I worked with go get more beer. It was AWESOME community service and I didn't even have to stay the whole 8 hours. I think I was there for 4. Okay on to my story. I try to be a very aware driver. I don't usually go over 4 or 5 miles over the speed limit. I double look when I change lanes and I ALWAYS use my blinker. ALWAYS... So imagine my surprise when I saw these lights in my rear view mirror on our drive home from Las Vegas.
Actually I saw the patrol car get behind me ( I was in the right hand lane aka the SLOW lane) and he put his hat on and I knew he was going to pull me over. But for what? I looked down and I had the cruise control set to 75 and it was 75 mph.
So he approached the car and said I was traveling too close to the car in front of me. WHAT?! Did I just hear you right? You are pulling me over not because of reckless driving or speeding or weaving or a broken tail light but I WAS TRAVELING TOO CLOSE TO THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME?! I was polite but FURIOUS at the same time. He asked us a few questions and then asked if we had any weapons in the car. Well, we ALWAYS bring our gun on road trips... So we told him yes and he asked if it was loaded... Which it was.... And we said yes (we have concealed weapons permits) and he got his panties all in a twist.
He asked us BOTH to step out of the car and asked where the gun was... By this time my 5 year who was in a dead sleep 3 minutes before was wide awake and panicked. Troy was able to hop back in the car and calm Hinckley down and I had to go stand by the patrol car for 50 minutes waiting for him to do paper work. Thank goodness it was just a warning...
Oh and did I mention he asked for my insurance card?! And wouldn't you know that I had left it with the rest of my paperwork in NM to get my drivers license... HELLO CITATION... But luck would have it that I was able to pull it up on my phone... THANK YOU IPHONE and he accepted it.
So 90 minutes and 4 ice creams later we were back on the road again.
WORD TO THE WISE... Make sure if you have a gun in your car that you tell the officer FIRST THING as they approach your door. Make sure you have your insurance card. And drive 4 seconds behind the car in front of you instead of 3. How the heck do you calculate 3 seconds any way?
1 comment:
Ok seriously, this is the most ridiculous thing ever...glad it all turned out alright, but honestly, it sounds like a cop who was bored and looking for someone to pick on!
Post a Comment