1. One Saturday when my Mom and I were shopping I spotted a lady wearing a blue star shirt. We walked around the store a bit more and ran into her again. This time I couldn't contain myself and I walked up to her and thanked her for her service members service. She told me that she has 3 sons who are serving and one of them was killed in 2007. I then noticed her 2 blue stars and her gold star. Then I noticed her red jacket with her name tag on it. It said, "President of the Blue Star Mothers." We got to talking and I told her that my husband was in Iraq. She took his address and said she would send him a package. Little did I know she was going to send him multiple packages! She wrapped her arms around me and we both cried. She told me to hang on and that things would be alright. You become instant friends with people who have been or who are going through the same thing you are.
2. Thanksgiving was great this year it really was but there was a bit of sadness in my heart. My dear friend Lanelle texted me and told me she was thinking about me and her words lifted me up! I thought about how selfish I was being.... She has had a fair share of disappointment in life and for her to take time out of her family day meant the world to me!
3. Sundays are the absolute hardest for me. Those are the days I miss Troy the most. I sometimes however, have things that help me get through the rough hours. For example a few weeks ago after the primary program the Stake President came up to me and introduced himself and told me that he had heard my husband was serving. He explained that he and his counselors pray for those members in the stake serving by name and that he would include Troy in it. He also said he would include our family. I was left in shock, a complete stranger was going to pray for my husband by name.
Then today after a long Sacrament meeting a lady came up to me and said, "You sure are doing a fantastic job with your children while your husband is gone." That was it and we passed each other in the hall and I felt peace and reassurance that we will carry on.
4. As most of you know in our church the first Sunday of the month is what we call fast Sunday. We fast from usually 2 meals and pray for guidance or inspiration. Well this fast Sunday I was praying for something very particular and peace for something that will be happening in the future. It was a great fast for me. As the day went on I received a text from my brother Rob. He told me that his family had a particular fast for Troy today. I wept tears of gratitude. He said how it was his kids idea to do it. I was so touched that he would even consider our family and Troy in his families fast.
5. A few posts ago I mentioned a boy who had no family and zero support while on this deployment. I was absolutely blown away by my friend JJ and her family. They sent him packages and love all the way from Michigan. It made me realize that people really do want to support our troops and they took this opportunity and did a great service to somebody who has nobody! Totally warmed my heart!
Hang in there if you are struggling with something. Hang in there and know that tomorrow will come. Hold on to the good memories. Hold on to hope and faith. God is good.
1 comment:
It is amazing the immediate bond that can be formed with a perfect stranger when you learn that their spouse/family member/friend/whoever either is or has served.
Post a Comment