This year Veterans Day really took a special place in my heart. I dont know maybe its because I have my very OWN Veteran to celebrate.... So the boys and I decided to do something fun. It was a little late notice so I just kind of threw it together which little thought. We went and bought 3 boxes of popcorn. Picked out a poem about Veterans online. Printed them up, cut them up, and tied them on the popcorn. Here is the poem I found. It was perfect.
They Did Their Share
On Veteran’s Day we honor
Soldiers who protect our nation.
For their service as our warriors,
They deserve our admiration.
Some of them were drafted;
Some were volunteers;
For some it was just yesterday;
For some it’s been many years;
In the jungle or the desert,
On land or on the sea,
They did whatever was assigned
To produce a victory.
Some came back; some didn’t.
They defended us everywhere.
Some saw combat; some rode a desk;
All of them did their share.
No matter what the duty,
For low pay and little glory,
These soldiers gave up normal lives,
For duties mundane and gory.
Let every veteran be honored;
Don’t let politics get in the way.
Without them, freedom would have died;
What they did, we can’t repay.
We owe so much to them,
Who kept us safe from terror,
So when we see a uniform,
Let’s say "thank you" to every wearer.
By Joanna Fuchs
I had to giggle at the ladies last name who wrote the poem. SURE MADE ME THANKFUL for the 2 I've had. It just looks a little to close to a bad word. Anyway.... Here is the series of events.






Hinckley dressed up in his army uniform and we headed to Kirtlands Air Force Base. Then we proceeded to pass out these little goodies at the Exchange and Commissary.

This is all we had left after the Exchange... Like 10

Then for being such troopers we went out for ice-cream. YUM!

I was amazed at the reactions we got. Most people told us they had not been in the service for years so they dont deserve it. UMMM>>>>>> Let me think about this... OF COURSE YOU DESERVE IT. Once a veteran always a veteran. Some people tried to pay us, some shed tears (me included), many were in absolute shock that we would do something so nice, all thanked us when we were thanking them! It was a very special experience for us. We saw a lot of old timers and a few youngsters. In all we passed out over 70 of them. I wonder what we will do next year?!
3 comments:
LOVE it! And I totally thought the same thing when I saw that woman's last name! lol
That is such a cute idea! I may be borrowing that (or something like that) next year :-)
Thats really great!
ps- i think chandler looks so much like you! he's so cute!
Post a Comment