Monday, September 20, 2010

Proud to be an American and an Army Wife


Tomorrow Troy leaves from Idaho to Camp Shelby, Mississippi. We sure have been through a whirlwind of emotions and such the last couple of months. We are blessed beyond measure really we are and so dont take this next statement as a complaint it is just fact. People are so selfish and self absorbed that they really could care less about you. Okay that was an overstatement I understand that but I really feel that some people just dont get it. Having said that we have seen some pretty amazing people come into our lives who do care.

Okay on to the real reason why I am writing this post. We have received many special tender mercies in the last few months. I wanted to document a few. PS 95% of the these situations people were not of my faith and it just goes to show that just because you are Mormon, Jewish, Catholic, Christian, Atheist or whatever doesn't mean a thing. There are good people in this world, people of all nations, religions, ethnicity, and social status.

1. The week we were packing up the house in Idaho Troy was gone and I had a huge task of finishing up the packing and cleaning. Let me tell you an 8 bedroom, 3.5 bath home takes a lot of work to deep clean to perfection. Plus 2 kids running around made it nearly impossible. BUT a dear friend of mine let us stay with them a few days and her daughters helped entertain my kids. Twice her 10 year old daughter just happened to show up at my door just in time to rescue me. Blessed, I tell you, BLESSED!

2. How did I change the color to blue? Who knows, sorry, keep reading, or not. Did you know that many retail stores have military discounts? I think that is just plain AWESOME! For example verizon gave us a discount, Best buy gave us an INCREDIBLE discount for a video camera for me and a pocket video camera for Troy. And all sorts of other stores and places to eat like Old Navy and Bajio.

3. US Airways checked troys luggage for FREE! When he got to fly home to see us.

4. US Airways also let me back to the gate when we said goodbye. Who does that? I mean with all the security and everything it was very nice and special.

5. The lady at the gate after we said our last goodbyes and she closed the door she told me to sit down and breathe and to make sure I was good to drive. She also gave my kids some snacks. I really wasn't crying that much I think I just had weak knees and she could tell I was woozy.

6. A nice lady at the Phoenix airport bought Troy a snack and a drink to the total of $11. Who does that? He was dressed in his uniform and I guess some people still consider being a solider something special.

7. When we went to church the Sunday he was home all he had was his uniform and grubby clothes so he wore his uniform. When we went in the chapel to sit he was about 10 minutes behind us because so many people wanted to shake his hand and thank him for his service.

8. OH and people in the airport kept stopping him and thanking him too. Troys favorites were the old timers who probably served themselves.

9. Papa Murphys pizza in Idaho is giving 12 free pizzas any kind you want to each soliders family. WHO DOES THAT?

10. The boot repair man in Rigby Idaho repaired his VERY EXPENSIVE NEW BOOTS THAT BROKE AFTER A WEEK for FREE!!!!!!!!! Plus he stayed late to finish them. Come on, really?

11. I guess the best for me has been the kinship I have felt with other military wives. You have an instant connection and it so nice to have somebody who understand what you are going through.

12. Troys section leader let him borrow a car the last few days in Idaho so he could get around and get things done. Plus they had him over for dinner twice. Good people I tell you. They brought in 3 of his brothers kids within the last 18 months b/c the mom and dad are both in jail. They have 2 of their own kids and they are expecting another one while he is gone. They live in a tiny house in town in Rigby. He use to work 3 jobs. I want to be like them when I grow up. Except maybe not 6 kids!

13. This sweet lady in my parents ward sent me a special pin I can wear and a flag to hang in my car or window to symbolize that my loved one is serving in a war. Looks just like this:


14. 90% of the time when people find out your husband is serving overseas they tell you to thank him for his service. and probably 50% say thank you for being supportive too.

15. My parents have been such a blessing! I know its super hard on them to have 2 little firecrackers in the house but they haven't complained once. I will forever be in their debt because of it.

Lets see I wrote a few more down but can't remember them. SO BEWARE I might post again about our many blessing. In the meantime, GOD SPEED the 1-148th Calvary Brigrade. And Troy may God be with you until we meet again. I love you forever and you have made me the happiest person on this earth. Come home to us safe my dear sweet husband and we will see you again soon!





3 comments:

Mark & Rachel said...

Not gonna lie, this made me a little teary eyed.
When Mark flew back to Idaho, he was given several drink coupons and an older man gave him &5, said thank you, welcome home go buy yourself a beer!

Kristin said...

You are a true military wife. I've know a few and they are tough, and focused and deserve every good blessing! Thank you for sharing. We would never have known all the kind acts to you and Troy had you not written them down. Bisous!!

Ash said...

I'm so glad that you've been shown many tender mercies at this hard time. I can't imagine how hard being deployed is on any family, you are in my thoughts always. Love this post. By the way, when does Troy get to come back? Is that an obnoxious question since he just left? Sorry if it is.