Friday, October 22, 2010

An Answered Prayer

Saturday the 8th was our last day in Tucson. We were living in the hotel and trying to tie up loose ends at my parents house. Living in a hotel for a week with 2 young kids is really hard, just for your information. In Tucson they have this place called the Tanque Verde Swap meet. Its a great place to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and other such things... that is during the day. You avoid this place like the plague at night. Well I really wanted to get this cover for my van dashboard. They make them super cheap there. So I take my boys and I pick out the color and everything and they tell us it is going to be an hour wait. So I walked around with the boys for a while (I didn't have my stroller so I was carrying my heavy one year old) and then we decided to wait in the car. I turned the radio on to help pass the time.

I waited an extra ten minutes or just to make sure it was done. It was just turning dusk at the time so we hustled in and as I walked up to the vendor she started apologizing saying she ran out of the color I wanted. She asked if I wanted a different color and said it would take another hour or so. Well, there was NO WAY I was staying there when it hit dark so I told her I just wanted my money back. She asked if I would come back tomorrow or next week. I said we were moving tomorrow. Then she told me she would mail it to me free shipping and add a logo or name on it for free. So I agreed. (BAD IDEA)

So we marched back to the van and I was relieved to get out of there. As it turns darker the hoards of people come and the line to even turn into the swap meet is like 30 cars deep. I buckled in the boys and went to turn the van on. NOTHING. I mean NOTHING. I panicked. I thought okay Heavenly Father please help me. I waited a few minutes and I tried again.... NOTHING. I called my parents who were finishing up at the house... At this point I was in complete tears. My boys were hungry and tired, I was scared to death. My Dad said he would head out to come see if he could help. (They live 30 minutes away plus traffic I knew it would be a long wait). All I could do was pray, I prayed and prayed and prayed. I had a lot of expensive things in my van (2 portable dvd players and my gps, our gun-I was actually glad I had it, and a good amount of cash for our trip) I was so scared of getting robbed or something. Bad things happen in this part of town at night.

We waited and waited and waited. I kept telling myself if somebody came to their car close to me in the parking lot that looked friendly and I had a good feeling about them I would take the courage and ask if they could help restart my battery. NOT A SOUL CAME WITHIN 40 feet of me the whole almost 2 hours we waited for help. NOT A SOUL. I was jittery and on edge of every sound around me. I felt like I was a moving target just waiting to get hit. To me that was really truly a miracle. I was thankful I was protected and my kids were protected. Another miracle was my boys were calm and happy despite being exhausted and starving. But the biggest miracle of it all was the second my dad drove up the people who parked right next to me walked up and were getting ready to leave. Now lets recap... Not a soul left in the 2 hours we were sitting there waiting... NOT A SOUL. To even find a parking spot that late let alone right next to me was a miracle. There would have been no way that my dad could have jumped started my van had the truck not moved because of the way the parking lot is and where I parked my van.

Miracle indeed and I feel that God had his hand in the fact that my family was protected and that the people showed up at the right moment. I feel very blessed that my prayers were answered.

1 comment:

Kathy and Don Carter said...

God is in the details of our lives" - words I keep replaying over and over, hour by hour in my head right now. Times like these are exactly why I keep your names on the prayer roll and we never miss a day of including you in our prayers.