So yes I have been feeling really blue about this whole Christmas thing and its all selfish reasons. I tried getting out of this blue streak by doing nice things for people (watch their kids, take a meal to somebody, write a note to friend) but nothing helped. NOTHING. Not any Christmas decoration, music, lights or production. (Troys parents took us to the Forgotten Carols at Thanksgiving) I even tried to just pray and thank Heavenly Father for all the amazing things in my life. NOTHING WORKED.
UNTIL TODAY... Well, actually a few things leading up to today. All these little things lead up to one big BAM moment for me. I was driving to Rexburg to take Troy some dinner (he is in the middle of finals) and that song Christmas Shoes came on. Now 9.9 times out of 10 I turn the song off because it either makes me cry or I get annoyed because you hear it all the time. But this time it was different... I realized something. I AM SO BLESSED TO BE ALIVE! I have my health, I have shoes, I have children, I have a wonderful husband, I get to be with my family for Christmas, i have a nice warm house to live in, I have clothes, I have a car that works, I have friends, I have faith, I have love, I have food in my pantry, and many other blessings in my life. Why am I letting something like no presents for Christmas ruin the true meaning of Christmas?
And all these small moments hit me... The fact that somebody left 2 HUGE boxes of food on my friends door step who is going through a rough time, to meeting a man who will probably loose his wife of 30+ years to cancer before Christmas, from the Christmas bell that my son carries around all day long that somebody dropped by our house, the fudge I made and delivered to families we care about, and many other things lead up to this point and I cried. I cried for joy. I cried for the simple fact that I am blessed. TRULY BLESSED in my life.
So what is the true meaning of Christmas this year? LOVE... Love from my family. Love from my friends and most of all Love from the Savior. For he is truly the reason why we celebrate this time of year.




2 comments:
Thank you Bethany!!! That was said perfectly. I'm so glad for friends like you!! There have been many years where we had no money for presents until maybe the day before...and it was so hard but it really put my focus out of the stores and spent more time with my family!! That's what it's all about. If it weren't for grandparents, etc. I don't think I would even do presents all together!! :)
My darling Bethany, We all spend far too much time, emotion and money on tangible presents. Years ago when Travis was only four, he got guns in a holster for Christmas - that was all he wanted and certainly all we could afford. He was delighted with them on Christmas morning - until I let him go to JoJo's house, a little 5 year old neighbor who lived in our same government subsidized apartment complex. Travis wanted to show JoJo his guns and holster, but JoJo had about every toy you could imagine, including a watch and radio. His mom signed-up with the Salvation Army or the likes and they were gushed on. Travis came home and asked, "Mamma why does Santa like JoJo more than me?" I've contemplated that every year since it happened. We truly get in the thick of thin things. The Savior is what it's all about. But it's so tricky to make that our focus. I hope this year we can do it better. Love you!!
Post a Comment