Sunday, August 16, 2009

Identity Crisis: Shumway VS Carter


When I got married I never thought in a million years how hard it would be for me to change my name from Shumway. For 21 years thats all I knew was being a Shumway. I LOVED my last name, I LOVED the heritage that came with it, thats what I knew, my last name was Shumway. But when I got married I cried when I got my new drivers license and social security card with my new last name. Not that I didnt like the last name Carter, I just have always loved being a Shumway. In fact of all the last names I had to change it to, Carter is PERFECT.
But I just struggled loosing my last name. I felt like a piece of me had died. Even 4 years later I still struggle sometimes when people ask my name. HOWEVER, I have come to the conclusion its ok for me to be a Carter and still be a Shumway. I can be both. You will never take the Shumway out of me but I can be content being a Carter as well.

The picture is of my son wearing a shirt that has my sisters picture on it and it says, "the only way is the Shumway." I LOVE IT!

2 comments:

shashum said...

Oh...we miss you guys so much! Hinckley looks so cute. We wish that you guys lived closer but we are grateful for the fun memories that we have with you guys. We hope that you are feeling good and we are excited as your due date gets closer. We love you bunches and miss you lots!

The Carter Famdamily said...

We miss you so much too! We hope school is going well. Hinckley LOVES his jammies from Aunt Amy well he sometimes says they are from Tatie... LOL