After an hour or so in post op we headed to our room on the mother/baby floor. They put me in the nicest single room the have, one of the nurses said they all felt bad I had double surgery so they took great care of me. I was so thankful for a private room. I had to share a room when I had Hinckley the first 12 hours or so and it was awful.
We settled in our room nicely and Troy headed home to see the kids and to get a shower. They wanted me to get up and walk and when my mom came to visit me that afternoon we did just that. It was incredibly painful but it did feel good to get up. I had antibiotics running through me 24/7 while I was in the hospital so every time I got up I had the lovely IV pole attached to me. The first 24 hours or so they put these bootie things on your feet that fill up with air and deflate to help prevent blood clots. My nurses came in more often to check my vitals and incision because of the circumstances. I was absolutely exhausted. I would take a vaginal birth ANY DAY over c-section. I don't know why people willingly choose a c-section. I understand there are certain circumstances when a vaginal birth is not an option but all these celebrities and stuff who choose to be cut open? NO THANK YOU!

Our first night went pretty well. I got up in the night to walk around and again it felt good to be up but it was so painful. Troy went home that night to get a decent nights rest and came early Friday morning before Kathys flight came in. Once Kathy arrived the first item on the agenda was to shower. You really dont need to know details but showering after being cut open just plain sucks. I was so thankful Troy was there to help me and I was thankful there was a chair like thing in the shower because I nearly passed out. I was so relived to know Kathy was here to help us because Troy was incredible busy with school and work and I was recovery from surgery. Recovery from a c-section is WAY harder than a vaginal birth in my opinion.
My Dad flew back from meetings in the DC area that day (might I add he changed his flight to come home early) and my Mom and Dad came to the hospital while Kathy and Troy took the kids home. Kids are not allowed in the hospital during flu season so they didn't see Eve until Sunday.
We took a few loops around the mother and baby floor. I was slow but again it felt great to be up and about even with my handy dandy fluids pole. By the way my Dad injured his thumb playing tennis a few weeks before I had Eve and then ended up hurting his other thumb a few weeks after I had her! So that is what the big cast is on his hand.
We had a lot of nurses/doctors come in on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. One of the surgeons who is in the same practice as Dr. Dominquez came into our room one day and said she just wanted to meet us because they were going to do a case study on us. When we took Eve into the nursery for one of her screenings the Pediatrician found out I was the one who had the appendix removal and c-section and he was so excited to meet me. He is from Africa and said he was here the day I delivered and had his team ready for whatever the outcome would be. He said we were all the talk because of what a unique case we were. As we were leaving the nursery another nurse came up to us and said, "weren't you guys just here a year ago having a baby?" We both laughed and said YEP! SURPRISE! Again we had the "Oh you are the ones everybody has been talking about." The general surgeon had his PA come visit us everyday we were in the hospital. He was really tall and skinny and very awkward. I think he was very nervous about being on a mother/baby floor. On Saturday he walked into my room and I didn't have my glasses or contacts on so all I could see what this man in a white shirt and dress pants so I assumed it was my Dad coming from the temple. So I exclaimed, "HI DADDY!" I knew the second he didn't answer it wasn't my Dad... I put on my glasses and realized it was the PA he didn't laugh or anything... He just acted scared to death. LOL! I laughed and laughed about it... Oh and laughing after surgery. PAINFUL! But a few minutes later my Dad walked in and we watched the BYU football game together with Eve.
The nurse who got a bit woozy during my c-section came to visit and she encouraged me to stay at least until Sunday. I am so glad she did! Usually when I have babies I watch a lot of TV because we don't have it at home and there really isn't anything else to do. This time I just laid in bed and held Eve. It was a really sweet experience. Saturday we got a call from Kathy and she said our van wouldn't start. We had been having problems with it so it didn't really surprise me but it was very bad timing. My Dad ended up picking us up from the hospital on Sunday afternoon. I really didn't want to drive my 3 day old in a 1985 Toyota Camry that was burning oil.
I felt like a celebrity during my stay so much so that they put a sign on my door asking for privacy. Every time we left the room we had people who wanted to meet us. We had a great stay at the hospital and I really didn't want to leave. I get anxiety just looking at the hospital let alone staying there but for some reason I just didn't want to go home. Sunday morning I could feel this onset of fear/anxiety/overwhelming of life. I tried to push it out of my mind but it only got worse as we drove home. Kathy had prepared a yummy meal for all of us to enjoy including my parents. The kids got to meet Eve and were so excited.
Chandler was the most excited!
Hinckley and Chandler stayed the night at our house and Zane went to my parents house. Zane was very stand offish to me but that was understandable! The plan was in the morning my parents would take the 3 older kids to the aquarium since it was Veterans Day and my dad had the day off. Usually they would go on the train into town but since it was a Holiday the train was running on a different schedule so they drove in. That was a miracle and I will tell you why in the next post!
*** I forgot to mention a nurse named Jennifer. We met her right after surgery before we headed to the mother/baby floor. She came into post-op and the second I looked up at her I knew she was someone special even before I noticed she didn't have any hair! She wanted to come meet us and see how we were doing because she was the head nurse on the labor and delivery floor. She had heard about the situation and wanted to visit a little bit. She changed my life. She was the happiest more cheerful person I have ever met. We talked about all sorts of things and had some great laughs. She mentioned to me that everybody who had worked with me were so impressed on how nice I was to them and how I kept expressing my gratitude for their help and she thanked me for being thankful. I in turned thanked her for coming to see us and sharing her sweet spirit with us. After she left Merriam told us she has stage 4 breast cancer and even though she is doing treatment she continues to work because its what keeps her going. The doctors have told her that because of her positive outlook on life she should be able to beat the cancer. I pray for her daily and think we need more nurse Jennifers in this world!*****

No comments:
Post a Comment