I certainly wanted to be awake for this whole thing so I just prayed really hard that if it was meant to be that he would be able to go up a few more vertebrae and have success. Within 30 seconds of the last try the pain on my right side (my appendix) began to fade away and I knew we had success. I thanked Heavenly Father for hearing and answering my prayer. They laid me back and Dr. Manetta asked if I could feel anything she was doing. I couldn't feel a thing so she began the surgery. They pull a blue tarp like thing up so you can't see a thing which at the time I was very thankful for but looking back on it now I wish I could have seen her birth.
It felt like an eternity until they went and brought Troy in. I kept thinking she would pull the baby out before he made it in the room. I didn't want him to watch the surgery for fear he would get sick to his stomach or faint. But after a while of just sitting there curiosity got the best of him and he peeked over the blue curtain and was able to see Eve come into this world. All I could see is when they passed her off to the nurses. She looked incredibly small and did not make a sound. I kept asking what color hair she had and I could have sworn somebody said red. But it was dark. VERY dark and long. After a short while and still no sound from Eve Troy was able to go over to where they were checking her over. I kept asking if everything was okay because she didn't cry or whimper or anything. The nurses were quiet and so was the anesthesiologist. I started to panic a bit but before I could start to let my mind wander we got the all is okay.
The next step was to have the general surgeon Dr. Dominguez come in and take out the appendix. We kept waiting and waiting. Even though Dr. Manetta had to finish up her stuff they were anxious to get him in to finish the surgery. He came in and didn't say a word to me which kind of surprised me. I later figured he wasn't use to his patients being awake. I could hear things splattering up against the blue tarp (sorry but I don't know how else to say it) and lots of movement with metal. He asked Dr. Manetta a few times if they had a certain instrument or something similar to it and she would reply with a yes or no. She asked him if he was able to get it all, which surprised me because she made it sound like it was coming out in pieces. I didn't ask very many questions because at this point Troy was able to bring Eve over to me and I was able to hold her. It was AWESOME! I was so excited to be able to hold her and just wanted her to sit on my chest forever. Eventually she had to go and get weighed and checked over again so Troy went with the baby nurses as they did some more testing. All I remember as they left was asking what her APGAR score was and I was elated when they said 8!
Then I just laid there as they finished things up. As he was finishing Dr. Dominguez mentioned that next time this happens he wants to make sure he has an assistant. The anesthesiologist expressed concern that we were hitting a time limit on the spinal block but Dr. Manetta was about to close me up. I asked if they had to cut me vertical and the anesthesiologist said no which I was so thankful for! We headed to post op and there was my Troy boy and my baby girl Eve waiting for me. It was heaven. Truly heaven on earth.
There were so many miracles within this surgery to which I will address next post and how I felt like a complete celebrity afterwards. I will also share something that I never thought would happen to me and has humbled me to my core. And be on the look out for our next set of miracles with Troys accident.
No comments:
Post a Comment