As Troy was getting ready this morning for drill my mind started to wonder on past april conferences. And one in particular I would like to share. It happened 4 years ago when I was living in Tuscany apartments in Rexburg. My roommate LaNelle had received tickets to go to the Sunday morning conference session. She asked if I wanted to go and I kind of went back and forth about it but finally decided to go. I AM SO THANKFUL I WENT. That is the only time I have been able to go. I think I had to work the night before and LaNelle did too so we left EARLY Sunday morning. We left I think at 4am or was it 3? anyway... Plus we got up early to get ready.
We got to Temple Square really early and both of us were unfamiliar with the area so as soon as we found an open parking spot (mind you it was like 2 blocks from TS okay maybe not that far but there was not a car parked near the conference center so we could have parked very close) OH WELL! We had made it. We really didn't know what to do to kill time so we started walking around and realized that EVERYTHING was closed except this little mom and pop place to eat. We decided since we had been traveling for 3+ hours we should probably eat and we didn't have to be in our seats for like an hour and half. So we went in and I was so SURPRISED at how many people dressed in their Sunday best were in there.
Then come to find out most of them were members of the Tabernacle Choir because they had little name tags on. LaNelle and I both swear UP and DOWN we saw a few of them drinking coffee but hey who are we to judge? Maybe it helps with vocal chords? We ate and went on our way to the conference center. WE HAD PERFECT SEATS! PERFECT PERFECT! Thanks to LaNelle. And the conference was wonderful. We got to listen to the spoken word (they have very strict rules of moving and coughing and such during that performance) I cried at the end when President Hinckley walked out of sight he waved his cane at everybody and left. I knew in my heart that would be the last time I would see him alive.
We got in the car afterwards both feeling uplifted. I think we got to about Ogden and all of sudden we heard a loud thump noise. It sounded like we hit something so LaNelle pulled off the road. We examined the tires and discovered that 1 or 2 of her tires were about to shred to pieces. What a blessing this happened on our way back home not down! Plus once we went past Brigham City there is NOTHING! We were truly blessed that day! THANKS LANELLE FOR AN AWESOME MEMORY!
I remember sitting in the Conference debating about going on a mission. I was a week or so away from turning 21. For 2 semester I had been going to the mission prep classes not thinking I would ever go on a mission but rather score the heart of the mission prep teacher. But during the conference I had decided to pursue the idea. Well, not even a week later I met Troy on a blind date and 4 months later we were married. Everything happens for a reason I guess!
1 comment:
first of all I am a horrible friend because I am just now reading your blog like 3 months late. Anyway...I got so excited that you remembered me and our trip to conference. I will NEVER forget that day. I remember feeling so guilty that I ruined your day by "making you" come with me. haha...I guess I was a little self-conscious! And girl they were TOTALLY drinking coffee...TOTALLY!
I love you! You are fabulous! Seriously...I cannot even tell you how much I adore you and the fabulous memories I have of our time together in Rexburg!
Post a Comment